On some devices, file sharing must first be enabled before apps like Infuse are able to connect.
Below are some basic steps to enable file sharing and suggested settings to use when connecting to some commonly used devices.
Airport Extreme & Time Capsule
- Username is admin
- Password will be the Base Station (or Disk Sharing) password, which may be different than the Wi-Fi network password
Open the Mac's System Settings to manage all file sharing related settings.
Step 0. (optional) Create a Standard user to use for file sharing.
Step 1. Navigate to General > Sharing and enable File Sharing.
Step 2. Click the 'info' icon to open the File Sharing settings, and drag the folders you wish to share into the Shared Folders list. These can be any folders or external disks present on your Mac.
If you added a new user in Step 0, be sure to add that user to the Users list for the folder you are sharing. If you want to have the ability to delete files from within Infuse be sure to enable Read & Write access, otherwise Read Only access is sufficient.
Step 3. Select the Options button and ensure your user has Windows File Sharing enabled (this is required for all 3rd party apps, including Infuse).
Step 4. Use the chosen username and password when creating a connection in Infuse.
An iCloud username/password combo cannot be used. If you're using an iCloud ID to log in to your Mac, you will need to set up a new 'Standard' user to use for File Sharing (see Step 0 above).
Thanks to PureInfoTech for posting the original guide.
Step 1. Open File Explorer on Windows 10.
Step 2. Navigate to the folder you want to share.
Step 3. Right-click the item, and select the Properties option.
Windows 7 & 10
- Set sharing permissions for the "Everyone" profile manually to access shared folders (required in some cases)
- Go to Control Panel Home
- Select Turn Windows features on or off to open the Windows Features box
- In the Windows Features box, scroll down the list and Enable “SMB server” (only the client was enabled since 3 years…)
- Select OK.
- After Windows applies the change, on the confirmation page,
- Select Restart now
Windows Server 2019
If low performance or buffering is present, adjust the following values.
Set-NetTCPSetting -SettingName "DatacenterCustom" -MinRtoMs 300
Set-NetTCPSetting -SettingName "Datacenter" -MinRtoMs 300
- Samba enabled
- AVAHI (Bonjour) enabled
- Leave Workgroup field empty
Connect to Infuse
Once File Sharing is set up and working you can create a new connection in Infuse.